After my team spent a significant amount of time working on a project, it got halted. Ouch.
It kinda sucked, but it also gave us an opportunity to start anew. We could put the baggage of our old project behind us and start our new project with a clean slate. As a leader, you must recognize that emotions (including your own) must be considered before the team can effectively move on to their next project. We’re only human.
Here’s a plan for handling a mothballed project with your team:
- Communicate: what happened and what’s next.
- Recognize and recover from burnout.
- Do a project retrospective to learn from past project mistakes.
- Share the retrospective findings.
- Start the next project with a clean slate.